Best Universities for Maths UK
Pursuing a degree in mathematics can open doors to a vast array of career opportunities, from research and academics to finance and data analysis. To fulfill your passion and explore mathematics problems, you must look for the best mathematicians and the most brilliant minds in the country. If you’re considering studying mathematics in the United Kingdom, you’re in luck. The UK is renowned for its prestigious educational institutions, many of which offer exceptional programs in mathematics.
In this blog, we will explore some of the best universities in the UK for studying mathematics.
Entry Requirements For Mathematics Degree in UK Universities
The UK offers a variety of opportunities for those who wish to pursue higher education in mathematics. Entry into a university to study mathematics does require some prerequisites, however. All applicants must provide evidence of their proficiency in the English language, by taking tests such as the IELTS or TOEFL.
- Typical International Baccalaureate requirements: 36 points.
- Typical A-levels requirements: AAB – ABB with an A grade in mathematics
- Typical IELTS requirements: 6.0 overall, with no lower than 5.5 in any one component.
Additionally, criminal records checks (DBS/Disclosure Scotland) and health declaration forms must be completed before being accepted into the study.
As well as these requirements, prospective students should be prepared for an entrance interview to assess their eligibility and a gripping personal statement to show why they are perfect for the course.
It is important that applicants demonstrate their knowledge and aptitude for maths through excellent grades in their chosen subjects – especially one or more A levels in Mathematics – although other equivalent qualifications are also accepted, such as IB Mathematics SL/HL or AQA GCSE Level 8 & 9 Maths grades.
Advantages Of Studying Computer Science in UK
Studying Mathematics in UK universities offers a host of advantages for students seeking a rewarding and intellectually stimulating academic experience. The UK is renowned for its world-class education system and has several prestigious institutions with strong mathematics departments.
- One of the primary benefits of pursuing mathematics in the UK is the exposure to leading experts and renowned scholars in the field. The faculty members at these universities are highly qualified, and their expertise ensures that students receive a high-quality education.
- Additionally, the curriculum is designed to be comprehensive and rigorous, covering a wide range of mathematical topics, from pure mathematics to applied mathematics and statistics.
- Moreover, UK universities often provide state-of-the-art facilities and resources, including specialized libraries and research centers, allowing students to delve deeper into their areas of interest.
- Lastly, the UK’s multicultural environment fosters diverse perspectives and encourages collaborative learning, enhancing students’ problem-solving and analytical skills while preparing them for successful careers in academia, research, finance, technology, and various other industries.
- The kind of understanding and skills students will develop at UK universities can help them find success in various fields. Many mathematics graduates get rewarding and successful careers in computing, science, accounting, business, engineering, and banking.
List of the best UK universities to study mathematics:
- University of Cambridge
- University of Oxford
- Imperial College London
- University of Warwick
- University of St Andrews
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Bath
- Lancaster University
- Durham University
- University Of Glasgow
- University Of Nottingham
- University Of Bristol
- University Of Birmingham
University of Cambridge
Renowned worldwide for its academic excellence, the University of Cambridge boasts a long-standing tradition of mathematical brilliance. The university offers a three-year Mathematics BA (Hons) program. The Department of Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics at Cambridge consistently ranks among the top institutions globally. With faculty members who have made significant contributions to the field, Cambridge offers a stimulating and rigorous environment for studying mathematics.
University of Oxford
Another esteemed institution, Oxford University, holds a strong position and is considered as the best mathematics university in the UK. The university offers a three-year BA undergraduate course and a four-year MMath postgraduate course. The Mathematical Institute at Oxford offers an exceptional curriculum, covering a wide range of mathematical disciplines. Students benefit from the opportunity to work alongside world-class mathematicians and engage in groundbreaking research. The university’s rich history, cutting-edge research and commitment to excellence make it a top choice for aspiring mathematicians.
Imperial College London
Imperial College London has a strong reputation for its emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects. The Department of Mathematics at Imperial College is recognised as one of the world’s leading centres for mathematical research. The program offers a rigorous curriculum and fosters a culture of innovation.
Each mathematics program in the Imperial college offers four basic research areas namely:
- Pure mathematics
- Applied mathematics
- Mathematical physics
- Mathematical finance and statistics
University of Warwick
The Mathematics Institute at the University of Warwick is highly regarded for its outstanding research and excellence in mathematics. It was founded by a few brilliant mathematicians in 1965. The university is considered as one of the best UK universities. With a diverse faculty and a strong focus on interdisciplinary collaborations, the institute offers a dynamic learning environment. The program at Warwick emphasises both theoretical and applied mathematics, preparing students for a range of career paths in academic, industry, and beyond.
Some of the maths courses available at the university are as follows:
- Discrete Mathematics (BSc)
- Mathematics BSc
- Mathematics (MMath)
- Data Science (MSci)
- Discrete Mathematics (MEng)
- Data Science (BSc)
- Mathematics and Physics (MMathPhys)
- Mathematics and Philosophy (BSc/BA)
- Mathematics and Physics (BSc)
- Mathematics and Statistics (BSc)
- Mathematics and Statistics (MMathStat)
- MORSE (Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics) (BSc)
- MMORSE (Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics, and Economics)
University of St Andrews
Located in Scotland, the University of St Andrews is one of the high-ranking universities and is recognised as a centre of excellence in the field. The School of Mathematics and Statistics offers a comprehensive curriculum, covering pure and applied mathematics, as well as statistics. St Andrews prides itself on its small class sizes, which foster a close-knit academic community and allow for personalised attention from faculty members.
The university offers following maths courses:
- Mathematics MMath (Hons)
- Mathematics BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics MA (Hons)
- Statistics MA (Hons)
- Data-Intensive Analysis MSc
- Mathematics BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics MSc
- Pure Mathematics MMath (Hons)
- Statistics BSc (Hons)
- Statistics MMath (Hons)
- Applied Statistics and Data mining PGDip/MSc
University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is renowned for its strong mathematical tradition. The School of Mathematics at Edinburgh offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs, covering various areas of mathematics and its applications.
The university offers a four year BSc Mathematics program which covers fundamentals of pure mathematics, calculus, differential equations, statistics, computing, and probability. The department is known for its research expertise, and students benefit from the opportunity to engage in cutting-edge projects alongside world-class faculty members.
University of Bath
The Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Bath is highly regarded for its innovative teaching methods and research excellence.
The department focuses on the application of mathematics to real-world problems and offers a range of specialised programs, including mathematical biology, algebra, financial mathematics, and mathematical physics. The university’s strong links with industry provide valuable opportunities for internships and collaborations.
The Lancaster University has a strong reputation in mathematics, with its School of Mathematics and Statistics consistently ranked among the top in the UK. The department offers a comprehensive curriculum, covering pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics, accounting, etc. The students passed through Lancaster university are hugely sought-after by employers.
The available mathematics courses at the Lancaster university are:
- Mathematics BSc Hons/MSci Hons
- Computer Science and Mathematics BSc Hons/MSci Hons
- Accounting, Finance, and Mathematics BSc Hons
- Mathematics with Statistics BSc Hons/Maci Hons
- Financial Mathematics BSc Hons
- Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) BSc Tons
- Mathematics with Theoretical Physics BSc Hons/MSci Hons
- Mathematics with Humanities BS Hons
- Economics and Mathematics BSc Hons
- Statistics MSc
- Data Science MSc
- Ph.D. in Statistics (Integrated)
- PhD in Mathematics
- PhD in Statistics
Durham University is known for its world-class research and teaching. The department offers a broad range of undergraduate courses for both maths and maths and statistics. The University offers a pure mathematics course as well as joint honours and Master’s Degrees. Students are free to pick options from the initial year in addition to some compulsory modules. There are various options among calculus and probabilities, algebra, statistics and mathematical physics.
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow has a long-standing tradition of excellence in mathematics. The School of Mathematics and Statistics offers a wide range of programs, including mathematics, applied mathematics, data analysis, probability and mathematics with statistics. Glasgow’s mathematics department has a strong interdisciplinary focus, with collaborations across various fields, such as physics, computer science, and finance.
University Of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham is one of the top destinations for international students looking to pursue their higher education. Ranked 21st in the UK for Mathematics, it offers a range of mathematical degrees that are designed to suit different career goals.
The University was named International University of the Year by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide in 2019 due its massive growth in international students.
The university is also a member of the prestigious Russell Group. The Nottingham university offers a degree in Financial Mathematics, which is an ideal choice for anyone interested in a career in stockbroking and finance.
The University provides an excellent academic environment with world-class modern facilities and the best teaching staff – all dedicated to pushing student’s learning experience to the limit so they can be well prepared for professional life.
Furthermore, students who wish to challenge themselves further or explore new areas can take advantage of the vast library resources or attend lectures and seminars led by professionals from various industries and fields.
With fantastic study options available and strong connections between academic departments and industry employers, studying at The University of Nottingham is a great opportunity for any student who is seeking out their dream job.
Some of the mathematics degrees the University of Nottingham offers are:
- Mathematics BSc
- Mathematics MMath
- Mathematics (International Study) BSc
- Mathematics with a Year in Industry BSc
- Mathematics with a Year in Industry MMath
- Financial Mathematics BSc
- Statistics BSc
- Mathematics and Economics BSc
University Of Bristol
The University of Bristol is an esteemed member of the Russell Group and ranks highly among other universities for mathematics research. With its School of Mathematics, Bristol students have the opportunity to receive a comprehensive education that meets the needs of industry.
The university offers several degree programs in mathematics including Mathematics and Physics, Mathematics with Statistics, Engineering Mathematics, and Mathematics with a year abroad in continental Europe.
The strong industry partnerships formed by the University mean that students are equipped with skills needed for the workforce upon graduation; these include innovative problem solving, efficient data analysis and creative computing.
Additionally, numerous extracurricular activities organised by the university give students an extra edge as they progress into their professional life.
The combination of practical knowledge and international experience makes Bristol graduates some of the most sought-after experts in various fields related to mathematics across industries today.
Some of the undergraduate degrees in mathematics offered by the Bristol University are:
- Mathematics BSc. …
- Mathematics MSci. …
- Mathematics with Statistics BSc. …
- Mathematics with Statistics MSci. …
- Mathematics with Statistics for Finance BSc. …
- Mathematics with Study Abroad in a Modern Language BSc. …
- Mathematics with Study Abroad in a Modern Language MSci. …
- Mathematics with Study Abroad MSci.
University Of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham has a wealth of opportunities for students of Mathematics. Not only does it boast an excellent ranking in the UK for Mathematics according to the Complete University Guide 2023, but as part of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities, its School of Maths is heavily involved in several research projects. This helps to ensure that courses are taught to a high standard by experienced professors who can also share their latest findings with students.
The University offers a wide range of Mathematics degrees at both undergraduate and postgraduate level such as options like Mathematical Economics and Statistics or Mathematics with Business Management. There are ample opportunities to boost your CV too, such as work placements or spending a year studying abroad. These chances may give you an edge over candidates without such experience when it comes to finding a job later on in life, making Birmingham’s offering especially attractive for prospective Maths students.
The Birmingham University offers following degrees in mathematics
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics G100.
- MSci (Hons) Mathematics G103.
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics with a Year in Industry G102.
- BSc Mathematics with an International Year G104.
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics with a Year Abroad in Continental Europe
The university also provides the following postgraduate degrees in mathematics.
- Applied Mathematics
- Financial Engineering
- Mathematical Finance
- Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Econometrics