BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance
The BA(Hons) Accounting & Finance programme is designed for undergraduate students with a three years duration.
- To provide you with a firm foundation for a dynamic career in accounting and finance, this is a highly practical programme, focused on ensuring that you have the necessary skills to secure employment in the field of accounting and finance.
- To create a platform to develop a detailed knowledge of accounting and finance, and includes the practical application of industry standard accounting software packages.
- At final level you will have an opportunity to select modules such as corporate finance, international finance, taxation and audit. This allows you to explore the topics of your interest aligned to your career aspirations.
- Friendly and accessible staff with opportunities for one-to-one tutorials.
- The students will be able to develop and use a range of generic (transferable), cognitive, intellectual, personal and interpersonal skills required for effective undergraduate study and future vocational needs.
- This course provides an appropriate base for access to further study or professional qualifications by encouraging the knowledge, skills and attitudes to become life-long learners who recognise the need to engage in Continuous Personal and Professional Development.
- This programme will prepare students for post-University employment and careers in a wide variety of organisations and sectors.
- It is a carefully prescribed programme of study to maximise the students’ exemptions from the professional accountancy bodies.
- This course enables students to be strong contenders in a competitive employment environment.
The course contains 30 modules both core and optional, in which the assessments are exam (EX) and coursework (CW) based as shown below. Students have to pass all 18 core modules to be awarded the BA Accounting & Finance with Honours (BA Hons).
All modules carry 20 credits each and a total of 360 credits is required to be awarded a BA (Hons). Students are required to take a minimum of 6 modules in each year and 6 modules in the final year. Specialisation is achieved by providing a range of option modules and the completion of an individual research project which focuses on an appropriate issue. All options will only run when sufficient numbers have registered for the modules.
|No||Modules Level 4||Core/Electives||Assessment||Credit Weighting|
|1||Business Communications||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|2||Business Management||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|3||Introduction to Accounting||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|4||Business Environment||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|5||Fundamentals of Information Technology||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|6||Marketing Fundamentals||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|7||Quantitative Studies||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|No||Modules Level 5|
|8||Business Law||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|9||Management Accounting||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|10||Human Resources Management||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|11||Contemporary issues in Management||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|12||Market Research||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|13||Delivering Customer Value||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|14||Financial Accounting||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|15||Marketing Planning and Control||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|16||Systems Analysis and Design||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|17||Contemporary issues in Computing||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|18||Auditing -1||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|No||Modules Level 6|
|19||Strategic Management||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|20||International Marketing||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|21||Informatics for E – Enterprise||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|22||Performance Management||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|24||Human Factors in Computing||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|25||Financial Management||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|26||Marketing Communications||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|27||Project management||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|28||Financial Reporting||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|30||Auditing 2||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
The Course has 3 different start dates throughout the year which are January, June, September. The year is divided into 3 terms of 13 weeks each, with a normal 4 week holiday break between each term. The Course is designed to make it possible to complete the whole degree in either:
[a] 2 years by taking 3 terms in each calendar [12 month] year assuming all subjects are passed at the first attempt.
[b] 3 years if the student only studies for 2 terms in a 12 month year OR has resit subjects in term 3.
|Degree||Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Total modules studied per year||Duration|
|BA in 2 years||3 Modules||3 Modules||3 Modules||9 Modules||18 modules over 2 years of 12 months study per year|
|BA in 3 years||3 Modules||3 Modules||Extended Holidays or Resits of coursework/ exams||6 Modules||18 subjects over 3 years of 9 months study per year|
A choice of start dates and time taken to obtain the degree gives students the maximum flexibility.
- Career opportunities There are two broad career paths for Accountancy graduates:
- Working for a firm of accountants such as KPMG, Ernst & Young, Deloittes or Price Waterhouse Coopers, or one of the many other respected accountancy firms.
- Being employed as an accountant in many other types of commercial, charitable or government organisation such as Google, the NHS or Cancer Research where you can climb the career ladder.
- This course will, in addition, provide a sound foundation for those who aspire to work in the highly challenging areas of: investment, insurance, banking, financial analysis and management.
- Job security is high as firms always need accountants to manage their finances, even during economic downturns.
- Own Business You will gain the knowledge to start up your own Accountancy business, management and financial consultancy or small business advisory service.
- Professional Recognition To practise as an accountant in the UK, it is essential to become a member of a professional accountancy body. This degree programme has been mapped against examinations of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants (ACCA).
- Further study Graduates from this degree can further their studies either by taking the exams of a professional association such as ACCA or a postgraduate business degree such as an MSc or MBA.
An applicant must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the programme and have obtained a minimum of 2 ‘A’ Level passes or equivalent qualifications including foreign qualifications or QCF Level 3 qualification including the KCB Foundation course. Other qualifications may be considered equivalent including the International Baccalaureate, and Access courses (subject to approval by University of Chester). Each application is subject to academic consideration. Please make a full application in order for us to provide an assessment.
English language proficiency :
- Direct entry to BA – IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component or equivalent.
- BA with Pre-sessional (5 – 10 weeks duration) – IELTS 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.0 in each component
We are committed to our prospective students to understand the costs and funding for them if they choose to apply in our partner universities. Studying with us is a real investment in your future; if you are studying a Higher National Certificate or Higher National Diploma (HND) you may be eligible for funding through Student Finance.
Click Here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance
Student Loans & Student Grants
- A loan to cover your tuition fees and a maintenance loan towards your expenses. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back.
- The student grant is paid into your bank account at the start of term. Additional money (up to £3,250) for qualifying full-time students only, which you will not have to pay back.
- Learn more. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
Help for Students with Children
- Full-time higher education students with children can apply for a Childcare Grant that provides additional money for childcare costs or other financial support for parents.
- Learn more. https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant
Are you eligible?
Click Here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
If you are not sure, then please feel free to contact us for further assistance.